Just one New Year's Story

Once upon a time, there was a little rock. Her name was Iggie. Iggie had an exceptional and amazing gift for a rock; she could hold her breath for a really, really, really long time. She thought at first that her exceptional and amazing gift was the ability to not move for a really, really, really long time. Then she realized that all her other buddies at the river's edge could do the same thing. She found out about her ability to hold her breath the day the river flooded due to ridiculous buckets of rain that fell for 3 days and 3 nights. The river's edge covered her right up, and she had to hold her breath for a very, very, very long time. When the river's edge went back down, she took the biggest, deepest breath she had ever taken, and thanked her lucky stars she had this exceptional and amazing gift. She looked around at her buddies, and thought that they were so grateful to be alive, too, that they especially indulged in their gift for not moving for a really, really, really long time. After a while, she reluctantly decided that maybe they weren't indulging at all. Because you really can't tell a dead rock from one who is practicing not moving. Iggie thought about this for a while, and decided to go to sleep because her head hurt.

Isn't it something? To you and me, Iggie at the river's edge looks like any of the other rocks all around her, but she really is all by herself, with a headache.

Comments

Beckah said…
Oh my goodness Mommy. You astound me. I love you so much. You make me laugh. In a good way. Can't wait to see you again!
pev said…
Wow, I've never laughed out loud at something I read on a blog before :)
Liz said…
Oh my heavens above. That was pretty much the greatest story I've ever heard. I love you so much!
Marianna Wolff said…
Wow, there's nothing like comments to give you a nice rush, especially when you're back to work and your head is about to explode from everyone asking for stuff PLUS having to train a new employee. And all without chocolate, for heaven's sake!!

By the way, I loved the picture of Steve being zapped. I laughed. But ONLY because I know it's a perfectly harmless game, and that your ability to have children won't be affected at all.
Liz said…
I hadn't thought of that. If all of us end up childless, I blame you, Baxter. Wow, that sounded a lot more awkward than I meant it to...
pev said…
I murder children, what can I say.

Popular Posts